Thursday, October 2, 2008

My heritage from my mother's side

I am a member of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution. My patriot ancestor is Phineas Keith. His state is Massachusetts "where it all began." But he is not the first Keith to come to this country. That ancestor is Reverend James Keith who was born in Scotland, educated at the University of Aberdeen and came to Boston Massachusetts in 1661, age 18. He was ordained a minister of the Episcopal Church and organized the first church in Bridgewater, Massachusetts. As part of his settlement he was to have a house and lot of 12 acres among other settlements. But the house brings me to the content of this post.

In Bridgewater, Massachusetts, the parsonage belonging to the Reverend James Keith is still there. It is known as the oldest parsonage still in existence in the United States.



I have been there. In the fall of 1992 about twenty first cousins met there and toured the Bridgewater area. The Old Bridgewater Historical Society volunteers opened the parsonage for us. It was a thrilling time for all. We saw his spectacles lying on a desk. That was so wonderful to me I can't remember another specific item. And because of the age of the building, we were allowed upstairs in small groups to view the upper floor. We walked around in the house and outside looking at each other in total understanding of the feelings we each had. It was a remarkable day.

I recommend that any descendant of the Reverend Keith plan a trip to see and walk where your ancestors lived so many years ago.

1 comment:

amy jamison said...

this is so neat. i can't wait to see it some day!